Wednesday, January 16, 2008



Well yesterday was my off day and it felt great. I needed it!

Not really but I’ll just pretend I did.

So, I don’t have a lot to post about regarding my run so why not talk about gear. First of all, I found out the hard way that if you’re going to run on a regular basis and you’re a male, you better have a pair of compression shorts or a big bottle of baby powder when you’re finished; your inner thighs will thank you. Ouch.

Now onto shoes, I began my prep training or workouts a few weeks ago, mainly walking with some light jogging, just to get my body used to the 20-30 minutes of exercise again and get my ipod up to speed with some good songs. During those few weeks I was wearing some clunky cross training shocks that I thought were comfortable, then I discovered the running company (http://www.erunningcompany.com/ ). They’re based out of Indianapolis but since my fiancé lives there, I was in the right place at the right time anyway. So, I walk in and try on a pair of neutral “fitting” shoes and was instantly convinced I had no idea what comfort meant. I trotted on the treadmill a few seconds enough to find out I needed a light stability shoe. After a tough decision I choose the Asics Gel DS Trainer 13.

I love the fit and especially the color.
So, now I have some shoes and some compression shorts I probably need something else to run in, right? Well, I picked up a few wicking tops from target, yeah I know that’s probably not the best place to shop but they are a little bit cheaper and I’m not running the super long distances right now. I already had some shorts and some longer light fitting pants to run in. But who would’ve thought that it would’ve dropped to 20 degrees as soon as I begin running? Of course! So, now I’ve added a low profile form fitting winter hat that keeps my head warm, some cheaper fleece gloves and a single layered wind breaker. I’ve ran outside in this get up and it seems to hold up pretty well, I’m not too hot and not too cold.

Watches, HR monitors, pedometers!!! Who needs them!!?? Do they really help? I have an ipod that keeps track of time and my music and I use the tool from google for my pedometer. What about HRM’s? I don’t know, never used one.

No comments: