Thursday, January 17, 2008

Two-a-Days

Well, I missed yesterday's run, well blogging it at least. It wasn't anything exciting except it was my next increase in length. I extended my run to 2.25 miles and hit it around 21:47. I know time isn't important at this juncture, but who can't keep track? Today I ran it in about 21:15, which I thought was quite an improvement in a days time.

My roomates think I'm nuts for trying to run a half-marathon and probably are thinking that there is no way in hell this guy can run a half. Hopefully, I can prove a bunch of people wrong by doing it. It sure would be nice to see my name on the final results in the paper the next day way far away from the bottom. I wish I knew what middle of the pack time was...

My knee is holding up well, which I am excited about. I had an injury over the summer, late, that was incured during a wakeboarding incident. I was trying to do my 6 or 7th 180 allie in a row and the front end of my board caught. It caused my left knee to twist such a way that I tore my MCL partially. Luckily, it was only a partial rip. I feel pretty good except some days it bugs me more then others. I'm hoping it's just healing and that's the aching I'm feeling. It's not nearly enought pain to put me on the sideline but it's definitely there sometimes.

I attempt to stretch as many muscles prior to a run as possilbe, I've heard pros and cons to stretching before a run. Some say don't stretch at all, while others say it's a must. But one thing for sure is that across the board, stretching after a run is a must. I have to tend to agree. I have ran everyday except today, with stretching before the run. Today, I just went out and started. I didn't notice a difference but maybe I should rethink my thoughts. Man, when your pinched for time, it sure would be nice to skip the pre-stretch routine.

How do you get your protein? How do you repair your sore muscles? I'm interested to hear your preperations and/or thoughts on the matter.

1 comment:

Tri+Umph said...

Hey who-dey, thanks for dropping by my blog.

As someone who works out a LOT, the majority of my calories are actually carbs; so I can sustain my energy. For protein a lot of it comes from Clif Bars and Milk (Chocolate Milk is a great cheap recovery drink, by the way). A lot of nights I'll make some rockin' fettuccine alfredo with cut up chicken breasts too. Thats what works for me, but every body is different.

Best of luck on the half marathon, have you picked one out yet?